I was recently sent the pilot episode of new educational puppet series for kids ages 5-10. Buckalope Elementary, explores different aspects of character building, and each episode presents a different character trait, with the overall intention of giving kids a set of tools that will help motivate, coach, and guide them early on as they begin their educational journey.
The Buckalope Elementary, “Career Day” episode introduces the program’s environment and its characters. As an elementary school class (of puppets) explores its own individual career interests and talents they discover not only a whole world of possibilities but a new-found passion for learning.
This very unique, entertaining and educational DVD has three acts:
Act One: The teacher uses an awkward moment when one of the students is late to class to bring up his topic for the day, “Careers.” As the class explores the meaning of the subject, they all share what they want to be when they all grow up, which we find entails some aspect of fame. The teacher then decides to sing them a song, to show them “what is all out there.” By the end of the song, the entire class is excited to learn of all these possibilities, and begins to explore their curiosity on the subject.
Act Two: Takes place at recess, where the kids are all playing on the playground. As one of the characters displays their basketball talent, another kid reveals her lack of self-esteem and expresses her belief that she “isn’t good at anything.” All of the other kids gather and try and convince her she “has to have some kind of talent,” through a series of questions and introspect, she realized she does. Eventually all the kids join in on a song, where they all figure out their own individual talents.
Act Three: The teacher introduces the Magicboard to the class, and uses it to assist the kids in choosing a career for their career day project and presentations. They all speak their talents and interests to the Magicboard, and it gives them each a list of careers that go with those criteria. They then dress up and present their careers to the class, and reflect on what they learned from the project. Finally, the teacher sums up what they learned by singing a song on the value of learning.
Even though my little ones are younger than the recommended age, they still love this DVD. The puppets and singing really engages them. This is really a very educational video and would be great in the classroom as well as the home.
Buckalope Elementary is sponsoring a give-away on Mommy Ramblings. Three lucky blog readers will win their own copy of this DVD. Thank you Buckalope Elementary for the review DVD and for sponsoring this great give-away!!! Open to US and Canadian residents.
Buckalope Elementary, “Career Day” DVD Give-Away on Mommy Ramblings Rules:
Mandatory Entry– Visit Buckalope Elementary, tell me something about this DVD, series or the creators. (If this entry is not done, all others will be deleted)
Extra Entries: (make sure you leave a separate comment for each entry or they will not count)
1. Like Mommy Ramblings on Facebook and leave me a comment here that you did.
2. Like Buckalope Elementary on Facebook, and leave a comment on their wall about Mommy Ramblings and this give-away. Then leave me a comment here that you did that.
3. Follow Mommy Ramblings on Twitter, and leave me a comment here that you did with your Twitter name.
4. Follow Buckalope Elementary on Twitter, and leave me a comment here that you did with your Twitter name.
5. Follow Mommy Ramblings by email, and leave me a comment here that you did.
6. Vote for Mommy Ramblings on Picket Fence Blogs (Button is on the side of our blog, “We’re on the Fence) and leave me a comment here you did. You can do this once a day, just make sure and leave a comment each time you do.
7. Rate Mommy Ramblings on Top Mommy Blogs (button is on the side of our blog) and leave me a comment here that you did. (Can only be used as one entry per give-away.)
8. Tweet this give-away on Twitter and leave me a comment here that you did with your Twitter name. You can do this once a day, just make sure and leave a comment each time you do.
9. Like Blueberry Hill Photography on Facebook and leave me a comment here that you did.
10. Write a review for Mommy Ramblings on Alexa.com (button is on our blog right under the We’re on the Fence button) and leave me a comment here that you did. Can only be done once per give-away.
Good Luck Everyone!!! Give Away Ends December 8th at 12am EST. Winners will be selected by Random.org.