I was recently sent a quart of Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil from Tropical Traditions for review. I have never before cooked or baked with coconut oil, but I was eager to try.
Characteristics of Our Gold LabelTM Virgin Coconut Oil
This Tropical Traditions Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil is a truly unrefined coconut oil. This coconut oil is made on Mt. Banahaw and surrounding areas from organic coconuts. Coconuts are used fresh (within 24-48 hours of harvest) from small family farms on Mt. Banahaw and other rural places in Quezon Province, the coconut capital of the Philippines. Only the highest quality coconuts are hand-picked from each harvest. The volcanic soil of Mt. Banahaw makes these organic coconuts some of the most nutritionally rich coconuts in the world! Testing done in independent laboratories reveals higher levels of phenolic antioxidants than other coconut oils. The fresh coconut meat is shredded (wet milled), and then cold-pressed using the water from inside the coconuts to make coconut milk. The milk is then allowed to sit for about half a day, while the oil naturally separates from the heavier water. The oil is then filtered from the curds (coconut solids). No chemical or high-heat treatment is used, and this oil contains no trans fatty acids. We do NOT mass produce this oil. It is made by families who are coconut farmers using old-fashioned traditional methods that have been used in the Philippines for hundreds of years. Our coconut trees and family producers are certified organic according to strict USDA standards. The families who produce the oil are also trained according to GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) standards and re-certified each year. This high-grade Virgin Coconut Oil has a long shelf life due to the high antioxidant properties. The Gold Label Standard is our highest standard for Virgin Coconut Oil.
I decided to try making some Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies with the coconut oil.
I tweeked a recipe I found a bit and this is what I came up with:
- 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup firmly-packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Mandatory Entry– Subscribe to Tropical Traditions Sale Newsletter. Leave me a comment that you did that on this blog post. (If this entry is not done, all others will be deleted.)
Extra Entries: (make sure you leave a separate comment for each entry or they will not count)
1. Like Mommy Ramblings on Facebook, and leave me a comment here that you did.
3. Follow Mommy Ramblings on Twitter, and leave me a comment here that you did with your Twitter name.
4. Follow Tropical Traditions on Twitter, and leave me a comment here that you did with your Twitter name.
5.Follow Mommy Ramblings by email, and leave me a comment here that you did.
6. Vote for Mommy Ramblings on Picket Fence Blogs (Button is on the side of our blog, “We’re on the Fence) and leave me a comment here you did. You can do this once a day, just make sure and leave a comment each time you do.
7. Rate Mommy Ramblings on Top Mommy Blogs (button is on the side of our blog) and leave me a comment here that you did. Can only be done once per give-away.
8. Write a review for Mommy Ramblings on Alexa.com (button is on our blog right under the We’re on the Fence button) and leave me a comment here that you did. Can only be done once per give-away.
9. Tweet this give-away on Twitter and leave me a comment here that you did with your Twitter name. You can do this once a day, just make sure and leave a comment each time you do.
10. Like Blueberry Hill Photography on Facebook and leave me a comment here that you did.
Good Luck Everyone!!! Give Away Ends November 3rd at 12am EST. Winner will be selected by Random.org.