A few weeks before the 10th anniversary of 9/11 I was sent a book to review. The book, “Unmeasured Strength” is the gripping tale of Lauren Manning’s long fight back from a devastating burn injury, that easily could have killed her. Lauren worked at Cantor Fitzgerald where she ran the Global Market Data division. Lauren was running late that day, she was normally at her desk on the 104th floor by 8am. Walking into the north tower, unaware that a plane had struck, she had been engulfed by a fireball as jet fuel poured down an elevator shaft and exploded. On her back in the midst of the horror, debris raining down around her, Lauren made the decision to live — for her baby Tyler, then 10 months old. Lauren had been burned on 82 percent of her body giving her just an 18 percent chance to survive. This book is her journey from the brink of death back to living again.
With her husband’s unconditional love and support she pushes through surgeries, therapies and extreme pain in sheer determination to be with her family again. I found it very hard to put this book down and read it through in about 3 nights. This book not only chronicles Lauren’s road home again but tells us of the struggles she has once home, her quest to have another baby, to be an active mom, how to deal with the loss of so many of her co-workers. It is tragic and triumphant, a true store of a woman who refused to die, who made a decision that she was going to live, she would see her son again.
Lauren gives us glimpses of her childhood, her courtship and marriage to her husband Greg, whom she stood by when he was diagnosed with a benign brain tumor, their struggle to have their first son, and conflict about Greg wanting to change career paths. I recommend this book to anyone who wants to read a story of one woman’s incredible strength and determination to live again. Lauren Manning’s story of surviving the 9/11 attacks has been featured on The Oprah Winfrey Show, NBC’s Today Show, and many other media outlets around the world; CNN recently chose her as one of the most intriguing newsmakers of the past twenty-five years.
I am thrilled to let you know that, Henry Holt & Co. is sponsoring a give-away on Mommy Ramblings. 5 lucky blog readers will win their own copy of “Unmeasured Strength.” Thank you Henry Holt & Co. for the review book and for sponsoring this wonderful give-away on Mommy Ramblings!!!
Lauren Manning “Unmeasured Strength” Book Give-Away on Mommy Ramblings Rules:
Mandatory Entry– Visit macmillian and let me know another book you like. Leave your answer as a comment on this blog post. (If this entry is not done, all others will be deleted.)
Extra Entries: (make sure you leave a separate comment for each entry or they will not count)
1. Like Mommy Ramblings on Facebook, and leave me a comment here that you did.
2. Follow Mommy Ramblings on Twitter, and leave me a comment here that you did with your Twitter name.
3. Follow Mommy Ramblings by email, and leave me a comment here that you did.
4. Vote for Mommy Ramblings on Picket Fence Blogs (Button is on the side of our blog, “We’re on the Fence) and leave me a comment here you did. You can do this once a day, just make sure and leave a comment each time you do.
5. Rate Mommy Ramblings on Top Mommy Blogs (button is on the side of our blog) and leave me a comment here that you did. Can only be done once per give-away.
6. Write a review for Mommy Ramblings on Alexa.com (button is on our blog right under the We’re on the Fence button) and leave me a comment here that you did. Can only be done once per give-away.
7. Tweet this give-away on Twitter and leave me a comment here that you did with your Twitter name. You can do this once a day, just make sure and leave a comment each time you do.
8. Like Blueberry Hill Photography on Facebook and leave me a comment here that you did.
Good Luck Everyone!!! Give Away Ends October 21st at 12am EST. Winners will be selected by Random.org.