Lee & Low Books sent me Hot, Hot Roti for Dada-Ji to review. Lee & Low Books is an independent children’s book publisher focusing on diversity. It is their company’s mission to meet the need for stories that all children can identify with and enjoy.
When my four year old son was getting ready to take his afternoon nap in his new bed that my husband and I had just got all together, I thought it would make a good story to read. I think as parents we should introduce diversity early in our childrens’ lives. If they know from an early age that people are different, then there will be no big deal and acceptance will be natural. I think it is important for young children to know people come in different colors, follow different religions and are of different cultures. I have always had books that showed diversity to my children from the earliest stages, there are many board books in my house that introduce diversity. When Lee & Low Books suggested this title, I was intrigued.
This book follows a little boy Aneel who is Indian-American. His grandparents come to live with him, and his grandfather tells many stories of when he was young. There is a nice family dynamic in this book where the family works together making a meal from Dada-ji’s youth. It introduces us to Indian words and foods and shows that even though families may be different cultures there are many things we all have in common. It is a delightful story about how when Dada-ji was a young boy he ate Hot, Hot Roti and it made him have supernatural powers where he could tie cobras in a knot and wrestle water buffalo. Aneel is curious to know if Dada-ji ate the Roti today if he would have the same powers so they set out to find out.
Ethan and I enjoyed the book that was delightful to read and showed the love of a family through generations.
Mandatory Entry– Visit the Lee & Low Website and tell me what other book you like. Leave your choice in a comment on this blog post. Please remember this is the mandatory entry, if not completed no extra entries will count and will be deleted.
Extra Entries: (make sure you leave a separate comment for each entry of they will not count)
1. Like Mommy Ramblings on Facebook and leave me a comment here that you did.
2. Follow Mommy Ramblings on Twitter and leave me a comment here that you did with your Twitter name.
3. Subscribe to Mommy Ramblings by email and leave me a comment here that you did.
4. Vote for Mommy Ramblings on Picket Fence Blogs (Button is on the side of our blog, “We’re on the Fence) and leave me a comment here you did.
5. Vote for Mommy Ramblings on Top Mommy Blogs (button is on the side of our blog) and leave me a comment here that you did.
6. Post this give away on your Facebook status and leave me a comment here that you did.
7. Tweet this give-away on Twitter and leave me a comment here that you did with your Twitter name.
8. Like Blueberry Hill Photography on Facebook and leave me a comment here that you did.
Good Luck Everyone!!! Give Away Ends June 14th at 12am EST. Winner will be selected by Random.org.