I have a huge passion for photography. I have not studied photography in any formal sense and I am mostly self-taught. I have had the opportunity to learn a lot from great photographers and from books, tutorials, and online resources. I was recently given the opportunity to review Kristen Duke’s, “Say No to Auto” 3 Basic Steps To Understanding Manual Camera Settings. I know through other photography related give-aways here on Mommy Ramblings, that many of you are just getting into photography. I know using manual setting on your camera can be intimidating for a novice, but if you really want to take your passion to the next level, you need to understand and master manual settings.
Kristen’s book is a very concise spiral bound 17 page guide to understanding why and how to use the manual settings on your camera. She takes you through the three basic steps to understanding manual settings: determine your ISO, identify your aperture, and adjust your shutter speed. Through the next few pages of the book, she guides you through the things you need to identify to adjust these settings for the perfect shot. While you are learning this book is a great resource that you can carry in your camera bag for a refresher any time you need it. For instance page 6 lists 13 different situations and the ISO that would be best for that shot. Then she will help you learn to adjust your aperture based on how many people are in the shot. This is an easy way to understand this setting that can seem confusing when most of the explanations you will find on determining aperture, highlight the size of the lens opening. Kristen guides you through the aperture settings in an easy to comprehend way and also has a quick guide that you can use while learning. Last, she tackles how to adjust your shutter speed. Then there are photo examples of different settings in multiple lighting situations you will encounter. The visual examples clearly illustrate how the manual settings used produced the photo shown.
I really feel this short book provides the essential keys to determining how to adjust your manual setting in an easy to understand format. Even the person who has never shot in manual will feel ready to tackle the challenge. This book makes an excellent stocking stuffer for the aspiring photographer or goes great with a gift of a new DSLR Camera. Mommy Ramblings is adding this helpful book to our 2011 Holiday Gift Guide.
Kristen Duke is sponsoring a give-away on Mommy Ramblings. One lucky blog reader will win their own copy of, “Say No To Auto” 3 Basic Steps To Understanding Manual Camera Settings. Thank you Kristen Duke for the review book and for sponsoring this awesome give-away on Mommy Ramblings!!! Open to US and Canadian residents.
“Say No To Auto” 3 Basic Steps To Understanding Manual Camera Settings Book by Kristen Duke Give-Away on Mommy Ramblings Rules:
Mandatory Entry– Let me know your greatest challenge when shooting in manual. Leave your answer as a comment on this blog post. (If this entry is not done, all others will be deleted.)
Extra Entries: (make sure you leave a separate comment for each entry or they will not count)
1. Like Mommy Ramblings on Facebook, and leave me a comment here that you did.
2.Like Kristen Duke Photography on Facebook, leave a comment on their wall about this give-away and leave me a comment here that you did
3. Follow Mommy Ramblings on Twitter, and leave me a comment here that you did with your Twitter name.
4. Follow Mommy Ramblings by email, and leave me a comment here that you did.
5. Vote for Mommy Ramblings on Picket Fence Blogs (Button is on the side of our blog, “We’re on the Fence) and leave me a comment here you did. You can do this once a day, just make sure and leave a comment each time you do.
6. Rate Mommy Ramblings on Top Mommy Blogs (button is on the side of our blog) and leave me a comment here that you did. Can only be done once per give-away.
7. Write a review for Mommy Ramblings on Alexa.com (button is on our blog right under the We’re on the Fence button) and leave me a comment here that you did. Can only be done once per give-away.
8. Tweet this give-away on Twitter and leave me a comment here that you did with your Twitter name. You can do this once a day, just make sure and leave a comment each time you do.
9. Like Blueberry Hill Photography on Facebook and leave me a comment here that you did.
Good Luck Everyone!!! Give Away Ends December 14th at 12am EST. Winner will be selected by Random.org.